Sunday, April 27, 2008

Coming and Going

More times than not when you leave something - like a job it is for good reason. But occasionally there are times, when it just feels like it's what needs to happen. It's not that things are bad, or that you don't enjoy it. It just simply feels like time to make that next step.

4 years ago I decided that it was time to stop moving and "settle down" into one place. Unlike most people I have the opportunity to go back and revisit that world at least once a year. And there it is, with all of it's flaws, ridiculous policies, and ways of doing things, and I can't help but love it. While in the midst of this world I find myself questioning if leaving was ever the right thing. Now that I'm settled what do I have to show for it? Has staying in one place netted me anything more?

I don't know why I continue to subject myself to this once sometimes twice a year, when I know that being here, and leaving here will make me miss my former life and long to return to it. Maybe this is where my heart truly belongs. Maybe it's just familiar.

Either way I'm ready to feel again. I've been stagnate, just hanging out biding my time. And while there are aspects of my world that I love, I am neither passionate, nor in love with what I do.

There's got to be something more....

4 comments:

mp said...

i can't wait till we can come and go again. 16 more years till morgan is out of school and then it is our time to move around as we please.

do what you love. love what you do.

Melissa said...

Your post reminds me of The Beatles song, "In My Life", specifically the first verse where they sing "...all these places have their moments..."

Perhaps the familiarity has gotten a hold of you or perhaps that is where you left your heart...and where it rightly belongs. People always say the head soon follows the heart, and I believe that because sooner or later, you've got to do what you love to do.

And that my dear friend, is what you've got to do.

(if you do go back, please note that I'll be the one writing/saying/begging PLLLUUUHHHEEAASSEEEE don't GO! lol)

Anonymous said...

You know I often think about it. Do you know that it's been 10 years? It's been amazing & I still miss it - all the time. Not the foolishness of the people, but everything else - the feel, the look, the smell. It's something that is really better left unsaid because you can never fully do it justice. I say do it - it's right. It feels right & even for me it feels right, but not now & I don't know if ever, but if you go, then I can live vicariously through you - secretly wishing it was me too! So, do it for both of us so that at least one can feel accomplished in knowing every single thing you do matters and makes a difference in 1 person's life... TISSUE PLEASE

Sandrine McCurdy said...

Thanks Jenny, for making me cry. I have decided to pray about it and make absolutely certain it's the right thing. I'm committed to WG at least through June, but that works because they don't have anything planned yet. But I am planning on talking to Jeff in the not so distant future.