Monday, October 13, 2008

Needy vs. In Need

Two things that almost sound the same, but that are so very different. Both require so much of a person and are often hard to give.

If you know me well, you know that I don't do needy. Yes, we all want to be needed on some level, but I don't want to be needed like that. Does that make sense? Probably not let me break Needy down for you in my mind. Needy - looking to fill a void or an empty space, hope or desire for something to fill that void. Here's the thing with Neediness, it passes. Once that void is filled, once the turmoil is over, you are no longer needed, you are dismissed in a sense. As cheese at it sounds, I don't want to play Pooh to anyone's Christopher Robin. (Thank you Beautiful Women, that's one of the greatest lines ever!)

But a friend in need is completely different. More times than not, the person in need isn't looking for you to do anything for that need. My heart hurts thinking about the friends in need that I can't help meet that need. As much as I want to do something to have some solution to meet that need, I can't.

And that is what is keeping me up thinking tonight.

1 comment:

mp said...

I know the difference and I too can't help my friends who are in need. Because usually money is what everyone needs these days. And I don't have spare money. :(

Thanks for asking about Matthew, he is doing much better. I think our new town is finally growing on him.