Monday, December 8, 2008

Shake it like a what?

I read the following on CNN.com today...

"Sixty years after Polaroid introduced its first instant camera, the company's iconic film is disappearing from stores. Although Polaroid says the film should be available into 2009, this is the final month of its last production year. Eclipsed by digital photography, Polaroid's white-bordered prints -- and the anticipation they created as their ghostly images gradually came into view -- will soon be things of the past."

How sad is that?? I mean I love the digital camera, but I REALLY LOVE the Polaroid! Some of my most cherished pictures are polaroids! I even offered my polaroid photography at my friend Lindsay's wedding, when she was looking for a photographer. (I've got mad polaroid skillz just in case you were wondering) There is something so magical about taking a picture and getting something in your hand that is blank and gradually changes into a magnificent picture with just a few shakes.

My 8 year old & 3 year old cousin will never know the magic of a polaroid picture! Not to mention that "Shake it like a Polaroid picture" will mean absolutely nothing to them! I'm trying to decide which is sadder.

So while I am mourning the passing of the Polaroid, I suppose I should give a shout out of thanks to Andre 3000 for memorializing the fun of "shaking it like polaroid picture".


3 comments:

mp said...

I'm thinking I need to go out and buy one before they quit making them!! and stock up on film!

Melissa said...

Whaaat?! Polariod is no more? That bites. I mean - polariods rocked.

hil said...

it's funny b/c i found your blog by typing polaroid & sandrine. weird? ;) (i know you will get that.)