Wednesday, August 27, 2008

SHOES!

In 2006 while in Nashville for an awards show with my former boss Lynda. I wandered around CoolSprings Galleria in Franklin, Tennessee not looking for anything just wandering along with a co-worker and my boss' bff. There we were standing in the shoe department in Belk's, I'm minding my own business when I see these magical black mesh sequin Valerie Stevens Heels. They don't sound pretty - but they are beautiful.

I picked the shoe up expecting it to be the wrong size and ridiculously over priced, only to find out that they were indeed the right size and were on their final mark down. They were the last pair in the store. And although I had my outfit and shoes planned I knew I could not leave the store without those shoes.

So they went back to hotel with me, where we all oohh'd and aaahh'd over them - I even sang to them! I wore them that night and then put them back in their box as to preserve them. They haven't mingled with my other shoes, they have a special place in the top of my closet. When I moved back to San Antonio, they got a special seat inside the car.

I have only worn them that one time. And I have continuously pull them out of the closet to check on them and to evaluate when I might be able to wear them again.

The time has arrived. Tomorrow (or today by the time you read this) our office staff will be journeying to Austin to celebrate our 20th Anniversary in Austin. It is a formal affair (blech) But finally - finally my babies will see the light of day again! I don't know what it is about them, but they make me feel like Cinderella. I know "they" say it's impossible to love inanimate objects...But I love these shoes!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Isn't it great how a great pair of shoes has this powerful hold on you? I LOVE it! Although, I could do without the high prices at times.

Yay! for you wearing your wonderful shoes. Now have fun at the formal (make sure Monica does too) and be fabulous!

mp said...

ooh, i need a picture.

seriously, whenever i see a pair of shoes like that or a purse and i just have to have it, i buy it knowing i have no where to where it to (since i stay at home with the wee ones) and Adam will say to me "What are you going to do with it?" All mean cuz he's mad at me for spending money, and I tell him:

"I'm going to put it under my pillow and sleep with it."

Anonymous said...

Ah yes I remember you buying these shoes & they didn't sound cute, but I think you wrote a poem about them. I think you should post a picture of them on here.

Tiffany said...

you must post a picture. They sound fabulous. People totally underestimate the power of a beautifully crafted pair of shoes. Feeling like Cinderella is priceless and essential for every woman's sanity at some point in her life. Hark the rebirth of your new shoes!!

Mr. Keith said...

My dad used to live a couple of miles away from that little shopping establishment.