Monday, July 28, 2008

Counseling for .05


A friend in crisis jokingly said tonight - you need a red phone and a blue phone. One is your friends in crisis and the other is the good time friends. Sadly these days I feel the blue phone would rarely ring.
The Bible says that God never gives you more than you can handle. He must think I'm one of those ridiculous female body builders with crazy big shoulders. Career plans, breakups, death, divorce, health, mental health everyone seems to have an issue. And while it is heartwarming and touching that so many of my friends, and even mere aquaintences think of me when life throws them off the track, it also exhausts me. How do I do it all and deal with my very own real life unfolding drama? How do I offer support, and listen without my emotions getting involved? Is it even possible to not get emotionally involved? I am drained. If I stop moving I sleep. If I am not actively doing something my mind is in their turmoil, how do I help, can I help, will this ever end. And in the midst of it all I want to say the things be the person Jesus would be if he were there in the flesh. Where did I get this job and this responsibility? And why?
Forgive me for my whining. But I worry - I worry that I will not say the right thing, that I'm not doing the right thing. I want to have answers for these hurting hearts, but often times find that I don't. Is being an ear and a physical presence enough? How do I offer emotional support and not lose myself in those emotions to?
While I try to figure it all out, I have to bring this to a close. The phone is ringing and there are tears to be shared.