Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Nana

When I moved back to Texas I moved into my grandparents house. Being that we lived with them most of my childhood it didn't seem like a difficult thing to do, and it hasn't been. I have to admit that when I did move in, I only anticipated being here (in their house) for a few months. But as we all know - things never go like we plan.

In the 2 years that I've lived here I've looked into moving to a more "convenient" side of town, moving away from San Antonio, etc.... And even though I've looked into all of these things, my biggest reason is not wanting to leave my Nana. I love my Grandfather too, but my Nana is special.

If you've never met my Nana, you have no clue how awesome she is. And if you have met my Nana, you still don't have a clue.

Helen is my next Best Friend. She is witty, understanding, and kind - but if you cross her she's amazing at putting you back in your place. When I was a kid and she was the uber rule enforcer and sometimes disciplinarian, I never thought that someday she would be a bff. But here we are all these years later - we live together, we talk throughout the day, and we do things together.

Tonight a Co-Worker had tickets to The Color Purple that she was trying to get rid of, so she called and asked if I wanted them, and I of course said YES! And without ever giving it any thought I knew exactly who I wanted to take with me...The Nana! She's lived in San Antonio over 40 years yet somehow had never been to a play at the Majestic Theater. (?!?!?!?!?!) The play of course was AMAZING, but there was something that more special about it because I was sharing it with Nana.

My Great-Grandad lived to be 104 years old, the Nana is much younger than that. Tonight as I was enjoying my time with Nana I found myself wishing and praying that she will exceed that 104 years. That she would be here as long as I'm here, even that she would just keep on truckin' until Jesus returns.

I have The Best Nana In The World! And if you don't believe me, she could probably fight your Nana for the title. (Smile)

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

awww...Your relationship with your Nana is very special. You are blessed to have such a relationship. I am glad you guys got to spend some time together watching the Color Purple. One of my favorite books and movies. I bet the play was spectacular. I cry everytime I watch the movie. Its inevitable.

mp said...

what a special relationship you have with her! i wish her a long healthy life as well.

Melissa said...

The Color Purple! I'm glad you & your Nana got to see it. That movie is just insanely awesome, makes me cry everytime.

And your relationship with your Nana rocks. I hope she lives past 104, especially since they'll put her face on a Smucker's jar!

Anonymous said...

Grandma is the best!! I know why she is your BFF. Thank you for letting her be my Grandma now that my Sweetie is gone. I love Grandma as if she was my own. Give her a big hug for me!

Wanda said...

You do have the most awesome Nana, I know because I have the most awesome Mom! Know what else, I got the best daughter there ever was too!