Tuesday, October 30, 2012

This City

It's funny how time flies by isn't it? I moved back to San Antonio 6 years ago this week. In some ways it feels like a lifetime ago, but it in many ways it feels like I just got here.

I try to blog about every year about the move back here and how my perspective on coming back home has changed. As many of you know I was not enthused about moving back to my hometown. My plan was to come back and stay for maybe a year or two and then move on to bigger and better things. I never imagined that I would be back here and that I would be happy being here. How that has changed! I don't know that I'll be here forever or even 2 years from now, but as it stands right now I'm happy being here.

Being young and dumb I felt like San Antonio had nothing to offer me, I even felt that way upon my return. But over the last 6 years, I've seen my city change and grow so much. I've come to appreciate it's flaws and quirks and love it's amazing qualities. You know how all little kids go through an "ugly stage"? They're awkward, they're trying to figure out who they are, what their style is, and then seemingly overnight they are beautiful, they are poised; they might not know who they are yet, but they are moving confidently in the direction of becoming whoever they are meant to be. I feel like San Antonio has done that in a lot of ways, and now... it's now in the beautiful stage. Perhaps a lot  of it is my perspective or simply a heart change, but without a doubt this city has grown up.

Regardless, I'm glad the path God has me on led me back home. This city is my city, and I love it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aGGIQQKKD0Y?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No comments: